Tuesday, September 4, 2012

it's called a "bump"



I don’t even want her anymore. 

Honest.

I don’t even know who I am anymore…

…honest.

I got out of Satan’s Care Facility and true to form, stuck with none of the love-sick promises I had savagely pledge whilst trapped in its unfeeling walls.  I even went so far as to fashion some sort of life for myself.  At first I would wander my apartment complex, slowly and methodically, not unlike how I imagined a ghost might.  I would trudge step after step, in and out of the moonlight, clutching at my losses and sighing all theatrical-like. 

Needless to say, that got real fuckin’ old, real fuckin’ fast.

Eventually I began testing my barriers, timidly approaching the edge of my comfort zone like a middle schooler at the Sadie Hawkins.  I toed the line here and there, pleased with myself for even being able to look at it without throwing up.  I’m proud to say that my radius, as it stands, goes as far as 6.2 miles out from my point of origin.

But the day came, as it always must, when disaster struck yet again.

I remember climbing the stairs to my efficiency, with none too much zest, flipping the keys onto the palm of my hand, then the back.  Then the palm of my hand, then the back.  My foot hardly hit the top stair when a sledgehammer hit me in the face.

Lavender.

And there she was.

Curled up in the corner, sleeping peacefully in the glow of the exit light, and looking too fucking beautiful for anybody’s good, there was my Imogene.

Imogene, my Imogene, my beginning, my end.

Just laying eyes on her, being almost in her presence, I could feel the burn and swell of her scent in the back of my throat.  The heady rush of that sickly floral sweet spread through my skin and warmed every cell, throwing even my molecular structure into a riotous uproar. 

Everything that I had worked so hard to forget came springing back up, and violently.  Her hair fell over her jawline from the way her head was tilted, and I knew, I knew, I justFUCKINGknew that if I reached out and tucked it behind her ear it would feel like strands of satin, that her skin would feel like silk, and that she would adjust herself even in her sleep to tilt her face towards me and part her lips and sigh that little angel sigh of hers. 

And I didn’t even have to do all that to know if I put my mouth on hers what she’d taste like.  Which would be like lust and honey and promise and newports and want and life and oh…

Nobody could ever tell me I didn’t love that girl enough.  Nobody could ever say I didn’t want her enough.

In the time I spent standing there looking at her, watching her chest rise and fall with each measured, sleeping breath, all the emptiness I’d been running from caught up with me.  My heart broke for every single day I had spent without worshipping her.  My veins itched from every ounce of blood they pumped that wasn’t for her.  My mouth watered.

Imogene is the kind of beautiful that makes it impossible to stand your ground.  The kind of beautiful that rips the foundation out from everything you are and reduces you to a smoldering, stuttering, simpering mess.  The way she raises an eyebrow, a certain way she licks the corner of her mouth, little things that are more than enough to make you forget everything you ever knew before you saw her do them.  And happily, at that.

Ba-bump… ba-bump… ba-bump… ba… bump…

My want, my wish, my world.

My beginning.

My end. 

My Imogene.

And then I guess it happened.

After weeks or months or however long of treading water without taking a breath, I inhaled that lavender and dropped to my knees to put my head in her lap.

Ba-bump… ba-bump… ba-bump… ba… (nothing)

I guess I wasn’t so honest, surprise surprise.  I do know who I am.  I’m hers, like I’ve always been.

No comments:

Post a Comment